[En-Nut-Discussion] Internet radio with inbuilt AT73C213 DAC on AT91SAM9260-EK?

ajitn at inventionlabs.in ajitn at inventionlabs.in
Sun Sep 9 09:17:10 CEST 2007

Hello everyone,

I just acquired an AT91SAM9260-EK. I am getting started with Ethernut, and
I am playing with it trying to get the Internet Radio application running
on the board.

I noticed that the Calypso board is required for the DAC and user
interface. I also noticed that the AT91SAM9260-EK board already has a DAC
(AT73C213), and a couple of push buttons. I was wondering why the Internet
Radio code cannot be made to use the on-board DAC instead of using the
external DAC so that the Calypso board can be done without for this
project. Has anyone tried this before? Are there any problems with this
approach?

The main difference that I see is that the AT73C213 has an SPI/I2S
interface whereas the TLV320 DAC used in the webradio has an I2C/I2S
interface. So I would imagine the challenge is in creating an SPI
interface to the AT73C213, and reconfiguring the driver to use the
appropriate pins on the board (which are already connected to the DAC)
instead of using the pins configured to connect to the Calypso board.

If anyone has tried this before (created a driver for AT73C213), or anyone
has created a similar SPI interface for a DAC, I would be happy to know
about it.

Thanks
Ajit