[En-Nut-Discussion] Change Ethernut repository to SVN

Thiago A. Corrêa thiago.correa at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 17:29:37 CEST 2008

Harald,

>> server.  Later we moved on to berlios, but it was just because of
>> bandwidth issues at that time.
>
> Sourceforge's bandwidth, performance and refresh periods are quite well
> these days. We only have to accept, that Sourceforge is not willing to
> let us move the complete project history to another service.

I just checked my old project (which still exists in it's outdated
form in SF), and it seams that they no longer provide tarballs but
they do allow us to download it via rsync.

http://alexandria.wiki.sourceforge.net/Subversion+-+Version+Control+for+Source+Code#tocSubversion%20-%20Version%20Control%20for%20Source%20Code5

Following their how to move from CVS to Subversion I was able to
create an svn dump of ethernut repository ready for being imported, so
it should be possible to move the complete history. cvs2svn even got
smarter than when I used, it seams to try to figure out the actual
changesets to perform a single commit into the target svn dump.

So, I guess we would just have to determine a commit window so others
have a chance to commit their work, then "freeze" for a day or so and
import things into svn.  We might even get it a test drive since it
seams to be easy to import back different dumps overwriting the
entiere repository. :-)

> IMHO, the recent commercialization of the site (banner ads etc.) is not
> really annoying. But it is out of our control and may change when
> financial pressure increases.

Yeah... I usually use Firefox's Adblock to filter out everything with wildcards.

Kind regards,
    Thiago A. Correa