[En-Nut-Discussion] Ethernut 2 Xmem & Banked Memory

Ole Reinhardt ole.reinhardt at embedded-it.de
Tue Feb 12 10:22:29 CET 2008

Hi,

> I realize that the banks are in 16k blocks, but will they then be
> transparent in that I can just use the memory as I do now with the
> default 32k?

No, sorry. The AVR does not have a mmu and therefor can't handle page
faults. This feature would be needed to automaticaly detect if you
access memory beyond the 16K boundary of a page.

The banked memory is only intended to be used as some kind of buffer
space with fixed allocation.

Best regards,

Ole Reinhardt

| Embedded-IT          Hard- und Softwarelösungen             |
| Ole Reinhardt        Tel. / Fax:        +49 (0)271  7420433 |
| Luisenstraße 29      Mobil:             +49 (0)177  7420433 |
| 57076 Siegen         eMail:    ole.reinhardt at embedded-it.de |
| Germany              Web:         http://www.embedded-it.de |
|                      UstID / VAT:       DE198944716         |