[En-Nut-Discussion] Let's start another discussion: Wait on multiple events

Ole Reinhardt ole.reinhardt at embedded-it.de
Tue Feb 26 21:58:06 CET 2008

Hi all,

lets's start another interesting discussion.

Since long time I'm thinking about writing da select or poll function
for NutOS.

For those who don't know what these functions are used for: Other
operating systems provide those two functions to wait on several file
descriptors becomming ready to read / write.

I just tried to understand how linux select is working internaly, but
suffered a bit from the complexity of this implementation.

The linux implementation seem to use several wait queues. One for every
device driver. A device driver now signals this queue and therefor wakes
up the calling application. The point where I'm los now: The select
system call needs to wait on multiple waitqueues at the same time?

Does anyone know more about the internal implementation of select and
poll? Is there a possibility to "emulate" select with the existing NutOs
event queues?

Any suggestions or literature on this subject?

Regards,

Ole Reinhardt

| Embedded-IT          Hard- und Softwarelösungen             |
| Ole Reinhardt        Tel. / Fax:        +49 (0)271  7420433 |
| Luisenstraße 29      Mobil:             +49 (0)177  7420433 |
| 57076 Siegen         eMail:    ole.reinhardt at embedded-it.de |
| Germany              Web:         http://www.embedded-it.de |
|                      UstID / VAT:       DE198944716         |