[En-Nut-Discussion] UDP Throughput

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Fri Jun 20 13:24:47 CEST 2008

Omar,

Omar.Qureshi wrote:

> I am running EtherNut on my ATMega128 (14.5MHz) with the 91C111 Mac Phy
> chip on a 100BaseTX network.  I've looked around the net and not seen
> anybody's number on packets per second throughput.  What kind of packets
> per second throughput (with max  580 byte packets) should be acheiveable
> with this setup?  What have you guys seen?  I'm interested in seeing how
> much UDP multicast traffic this setup should be able to swallow without
> dropping too many packets.

At least make sure to set the UDP buffer
http://www.ethernut.de/api/group__xg_udp_socket.html
Otherwise you may lose too many incoming packets.

AFAIK, there is no UDP benchmark available. I'd roughly estimate about
300 packets per second, may be up to 400. Typically sending will be a
bit slower than receiving on the Ethernut side.