[En-Nut-Discussion] Destination unreachable ICMP Message for UDP sockets

Ole Reinhardt ole.reinhardt at embedded-it.de
Tue May 20 10:58:45 CEST 2008

Hi all,

I have an urgend project where I need a udp socket to be informed when I
get back a destination unreachable icmp message
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICMP_Destination_Unreachable)

For TCP sockets NutOS implements the handling of this message, but for
UDP sockets an incomming destination unreachable icmp message is
ignored.

For TCP sockets the socket is aborted.

Has anyone just implemented this mechanism for UDP sockets too? I don't
even have a good idea _how_ to implement this behaviour for udp sockets
as these are datagram oriented and not stream oriendted sockets. So how
to inform the application that a just sended packet did not receive it's
recipient?

Any suggestions are wellcome!

Regards,

Ole Reinhardt

| Embedded-IT          Hard- und Softwarelösungen             |
| Ole Reinhardt        Tel. / Fax:        +49 (0)271  7420433 |
| Luisenstraße 29      Mobil:             +49 (0)177  7420433 |
| 57076 Siegen         eMail:    ole.reinhardt at embedded-it.de |
| Germany              Web:         http://www.embedded-it.de |
|                      UstID / VAT:       DE198944716         |