[En-Nut-Discussion] Make questions, next set of patches

duane ellis ethernut at duaneellis.com
Sat May 24 16:30:03 CEST 2008

duane>  [ Q: T/F - I assume only GNU make is used for ethernut]

Thiago A. Corrêa>
>> Actually, no. There is ICC make, which is a supported platform. Don't
>> know about other variations.

duane>Hmm, ICC-MAKE is interesting - and not really documented at
allI've done a bit more investigation about this.

I've done some more investigation, (downloaded and installed it).

My conclusion is this:
    There is no possible way the ICC supplied 'make' tool "imakew.exe"
is used to build
    any part of ethernut internal libraries and stuff like that. See
'however' below.

Reason:
    Most, if not all ICC makefiles in NUT require and use some form of:

                 'include makefragement.mak"

Background:
The ICC make program does not support 'include makefragment.mak' in any
way shape or form.

however:

I do believe that the ICC-Make program imakew.exe is used in a limited way.

Specifically
    The ICC gui/ide generates a very simplistic makefile
    (its documentation says that it does)
    The ICC gui/ide invokes imakew.exe which never processes any NUT
makefiles

Thus - it's GNU make for everything... :-)