[En-Nut-Discussion] NutOS Unix emulation status?

Nathan Moore nategoose at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 16:50:46 CET 2008

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 3:40 AM, Harald Kipp <harald.kipp at egnite.de> wrote:

> Tomi Korhonen wrote:
>
> > I'd be interested in hearing about the current ( and future ) state of
> Nut
> > OS unix emulation. I managed to get the emulation to work with some
> > tweaking but it seems to be incomplete so afaik you can't emulate for
> > example any network related stuff. Is there any work being done on this?
> > If not, how difficult would you say implementing it would be?
>
> It's on my list and I'm not happy with the current status. Actually my
> time is very limited, but I'm most interested to get this back on track.

I tried to compile this a while back and kept having to either implement
features or remove them completely to make it compile, but eventually I gave
up.
I didn't need ethernet emulation at the time, so the stuff I had to
implement
were eeprom and xflash.

> I do not have much experience with sending raw Ethernet packets on
> Linux, but I know how to do this on Windows (using the WinPCap lib). It
> shouldn't be too difficult to create a new Ethernet driver for Nut/OS to
> be used with the Linux emulation.

Only a program running with root permissions can send raw ethernet.
Programs like ping have the suid bit set.
I have no idea how to get the incoming data, though.
Running
   sudo strace -o ping.strace.txt ping -c 1 <some ip address>
and
   sudo ltrace -o ping.ltrace.txt pint -c 1 <some ip address>
should yield some clues for raw IP packets but not raw ethernet.
If linux is assigning ports and listening then nut and linux are going
to step on each other, though.
PPP should work, though.  Maybe even using a psudo-terminal (/dev/pty*)
rather than
a real serial port and the linux host as the ISP.

Nathan