[En-Nut-Discussion] NutOS Unix emulation status?

Matthias Ringwald mringwal at inf.ethz.ch
Wed Nov 12 11:28:47 CET 2008

Hi there

sometimes, I'll browse through this mailing list and get caught by the
subject. :)

The Unix Emulation works at least partially. I've added it long time
ago to help with the debugging of our Bluetooth stack. Yet, the timers
implementation could need some re-work, to make use of the simplified
timers in nut/os introduced some years ago - but hey, it's working. If
I remember correctly, it only supports the emulations of the UARTS,
but these can be mapped to stdout, a real serial port or even to a tcp/
ip socket.

I don't know if this is in the Nut/OS docs or only in ours.
http://www.btnode.ethz.ch/static_docs/doxygen/btnut/group__btn__unix__emulation.html

To get started, I can recommend to grab the latest version of nut/os
and btnut from their respective repositories.
Then in btnut/Makedefs enable the this line:
PLATFORMS     += unix

run make and have a look at the examples in the app folder. e.g. the
app/threads example works right out of the box.

I can only say that a) it builds fine with the BTnut build system,
which essentially is a tweaked version of the nut/os one, and b) there
is no further development from our side. But I hope the current
version is at least a good start to, as you've asked for, add e.g.
networking stuff.

Cheers
  Matthias Ringwald

p.s. btnut is available at http://www.btnode.ethz.ch/