[En-Nut-Discussion] shot filenames in nut- PHAT fs

PragmaLab info at pragmalab.nl
Thu Oct 2 11:10:26 CEST 2008

Hi Ole,

> Yes, I had the same problem before and postet it on the list
> already. I had a timestamp as filename, and as you can think
> the first part was the year and month, so it was not changing
> that much in short time :) Run into the same problem. I
> solved it by turning the name around, starting now with the
> seconds in the filename.

I'm sorry. Although I read (almost) every single message in the group, this
one did not ring a bell....

> > - anybody knows a better algoritm that tries harder to
> create unique
> > 8.3 filenames?
>
> Not yet realy. But for shure you are right. We could simply
> implement a hash algorithm, but you won't be able to read the
> short filenames at all.
>
> Perhaps we should take a side look to other free VFAT
> implementations...

I prefer this option. I'll dive into the matter to see what's available. If
we can't find anything usefull, I'll try to think of a new way to create
short filenames by taking the long-filenames as input. I'll keep you
informed

> > ps: we got SD-HC cards working for writing as well now. Not
> sure how
> > to commit the changes.....
>
> You could send me a patch if you like. At least me, I'm
> interested in it. I would then check in the patch into the
> development tree.

Ok. I'll send the changes to you by private mail. All changes are made in
the low-level mmcard module. Biggest difference is that HC-cards use a byte
approach when addressing data, normal cards use a block approach.

regards,

Rob van Lieshout