[En-Nut-Discussion] IPv6

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Wed Sep 17 11:13:37 CEST 2008

johan van der Stoel wrote:

> This brings me to the following questions: having said this, does anyone
> have an estimation about the extra code size? The same question about the
> performance: does IPv6 significantly reduce performance (on ATMEGA) or is it
> only minor?

Johan,

Difficult to estimate the extra code size, may be 1k (or more) Flash and
a few hundred bytes of RAM.

I'm almost sure, that performance will not noticeably suffer. The
biggest problem for tiny systems is moving memory and calculating
checksums. The few additional IP version checks and expanded address
handling will not add much.