[En-Nut-Discussion] Nut/OS Initialization

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Thu Sep 18 10:12:54 CEST 2008

duane ellis wrote:
> Alain M. wrote:
>> Sometimes too much backward compatibility may do more bad than good and
>> only old sw compatibility is needed with a possible easy migration path...
>>
> Example: Windows.

D'accord. There is no intention to carry all garbage in to the final
Nut/OS 9.9.9.9. If, then we would still have NutPrintFormat. Anyone left
here, who remembers this function?

IMHO, Java is handling this quite acceptable by defining specific
features "deprecated" and still keeping them for a while. On the other
hand, avr-libc for example had been most annoying once by moving twi.h
from include/avr/ to include/compat/ without any warning. I'm sure we
had similar situations in Nut/OS.

Though I have no idea yet how to spit out a "deprecated warning" without
removing -Werror, which would open a big door for careless programming.