[En-Nut-Discussion] Ethernut port for AVR32

Thiago A. Corrêa thiago.correa at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 16:47:09 CEST 2009

Hi Deven,

> I have read your posts on avrfreaks and saw your port on code.google.
> I am planning to use the Ethernut port on AVR32 for the UC3A0512 devices.

Cool :)

> I have downloaded the main line code for Ethernut, but I do not see the AVR32 stuff in there.

Since the AVR32 port was added that have not been a full release.
Therefore, you can only find it on the SVN right now. I guess maybe in
one beta if one is out, I haven't checked.

> Now, here are a few Qs:
> 1. Is the AVR32 (UC3A) port stable?

As far as I tested with the examples, it was working pretty good. I
think the serial port driver could use more testing, and there are a
few drivers missing. Also the SPI driver still needs testing as well.

> 2. When do we expect the port be available in the main line code?

Probably it will be in the next release, but you could try it out
using the SVN code before that. Actually the more help testing the
better *smile*.

> I have a custom hardware based on the UC3A with ethernet on board, and have plans to design a new hardware which will have ethernet, SDRAM, and bunch of other stuff. I plan to try out the port on the existing hardware and then port it to the new custom hardware.
> The main motivation to use Ethernut is the strong TCP/IP stack.

I still don't have my custom hardware, but I received recently the
EVK1105 and an AVRONE to continue my work on the port. Up until now I
have only tested with the ES version, but I did try to keep up with
the differencese, so that the code works with both ES and non-ES. The
new kit will be the first test with non-ES version AFAIK. I've been a
bit busy with an AP7000 project, but will get back to the UC3 port as
soon as possible.

Kind Regards,
    Thiago A. Correa