[En-Nut-Discussion] Ethernut 3.1 RS232 hardware handshake

Paul Govers egnite at paulgovers.com
Wed Dec 2 21:35:25 CET 2009

Hey Harald,

Thanx for your fast reply!
i have tried to set the RTS and DTR bit and also all cable combination on
page
http://www.ethernut.de/en/documents/rs232primer.html but it nothing worked
:-(

i have also measured the DC voltage level on every pin on the RS 232
connector(devices not connected), and this was the result

All RS232 pins on the ethernut3.1d 0 Volt
All RS232 pins on the Remeha Heating system 0 Volt

Computer rs232 pin1: 0volt
Computer rs232 pin2: 0volt
Computer rs232 pin3: -11volt
Computer rs232 pin4: 11volt
Computer rs232 pin5: 0volt
Computer rs232 pin6: 0volt
Computer rs232 pin7: 11volt
Computer rs232 pin8: 0volt
Computer rs232 pin9: 0volt

it looks like if the computer RS232 port is running in a different mode as
the ethernut

The ethernut and Remaha heating system has all pins on 0volt, so shortened
handshake signals pins does not have any affect.
iam not a RS232 expert, but maybe it is possible to set the ethernut RS232
port in the same "mode" as the computer? (because computer RS232 connected
to heating system is working just fine)

Greetings