[En-Nut-Discussion] Register hostname for Ethernut

Daniel ziu82 at gmx.de
Fri Dec 4 14:32:13 CET 2009

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: en-nut-discussion-bounces at egnite.de
[mailto:en-nut-discussion-bounces at egnite.de] Im Auftrag von Edwin van den
Oetelaar (Oetelaar Automatisering uit Best)
Gesendet: Freitag, 4. Dezember 2009 14:06
An: Ethernut User Chat (English)
Betreff: Re: [En-Nut-Discussion] Register hostname for Ethernut

Daniel wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> My board uses DHCP to recieve an IP-address. How can I register a
> hostname for my Ethernut Board? I want to use a plain name in my
> browser, e.g http://MyBoard  to reach it.
>

> Thanks in advance,
> Daniel

add a line in the /etc/hosts file of the machine running the browser.

Like so :

127.0.0.1	localhost
192.168.1.100	Myboard

The long answer is to make a decent network setup with DNS and DHCP server
properly configured.

> This is a nice way, but I want to realize a Ethernut-based solution. I
want to give away several Ethernuts to costumers and I have no access to
their computers and servers. When they use the board in their networks, they
don't want to search the ip of the board in server-logs. They just want to
type the name of the board into the browser.

Greetings,
Edwin

> Greetings,
Daniel