[En-Nut-Discussion] qnutconf path mysteries

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Tue Dec 8 14:40:44 CET 2009

Ole Reinhardt wrote:

> The path dependencies of (q)nutconf are really a mess.

Indeed. However, if you start the wxWidgets version from anywhere inside
the installation tree, it worked quite well. On Linux/OS X this requires
the symbolic link I mentioned.

> Why not change the workflow a little:
>
> Call (q)nutconf from wherever you like. It will start without directly
> popping up the file-open dialog.

Good idea.

> Next: Click on "open file" to open your .conf file
>
> If you have not yet done the following step, (q)nutconf should now ask
> you what your working directory shall be. Locate
> now ../../../ethernut/...
>
> Next nutconf will save this path _in your .conf file_ and will proceed
> as normal.

Which .conf file?

> This little enhancement will fix this annoying "allow multiple
> configurations" problem too. You can have as much NutOS Trees as you
> like and you'll always get the correct path settings as they are saved
> in you machine configuration file. So you can have different NutOS
> Trees / Versions / projects without any hassle.

Sorry, now I'm completely confused. I'll try to use my own words for
something, which you probably didn't mean, but what I understood:

1. I want to use EIR 1.0C with Nut/OS 4.9

2. I'll start the Configurator from anywhere and then painfully have to
locate the 4.9 tree and walk down to nut/conf and select eir10c.conf.

3. I'll do the settings and the Configurator will store everything in
eir10c.conf.

4. Next time I start the Configurator and again I need to locate the
eir10c.conf, walking through all these directories.

5. Now I want to change to 4.8. Same procedure and all settings need to
be updated.

6. After applying a 4.9 fix to eir10c.conf, all settings are lost and
need to be entered again.

7. Now I'll upgrade from 4.8.5 to 4.8.6 and again...

To me this doesn't look like an improvement compared to what we have
now. ;-)

I think we need to distinguish between board-specific settings like CPU,
memory etc. and local user settings like compiler, programming adapter etc.