[En-Nut-Discussion] qnutconf path mysteries

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Tue Dec 8 18:02:07 CET 2009

Ole Reinhardt wrote:

>> 4. Next time I start the Configurator and again I need to locate the
>> eir10c.conf, walking through all these directories.
>
> No... You saved it in you favorite place. Perhaps (q)nutconf has a list
> of "Recently used" conf files?

Understood. Sounds practical.

>> 6. After applying a 4.9 fix to eir10c.conf, all settings are lost and
>> need to be entered again.
>
> Ok, but they are lost with the current solution too, right?

No, because they are saved in a different place and "allow multiple
configurations" connects them to the name of the conf file.

> Today I always have to update my setting if I called NutOS from any
> other directory (version) and used the same config file again. Not much
> better.

Due to a bug (or better said, incomplete implementation) the settings
get lost when changing the Nut/OS version. But that's not a general
problem, just a bug.

> In short words:
>
> I would like a solution that is
>
> a) independent of the NutOS path
> b) can handle different NutOS trees even if they will be moved some time
> c) can handle different project configurations (e.g. eir10c.conf)
> d) these config files does not neet to be located in the nut/conf tree

I agree. Specifically d) is not yet supported and many users will
probably like such a solution.

> And saving everything that the configurator needs to know in just one
> file was my first intention.

I'd prefer to have a separation between target specific and tool
specific settings. Of course I can think of even more advanced
solutions, which still allow to keep all settings in one file.