[En-Nut-Discussion] Next stable release

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Fri Dec 11 15:36:46 CET 2009

Thiago A. Corrêa wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 2:52 PM, Harald Kipp <harald.kipp at egnite.de> wrote:
>> Ole Reinhardt wrote:
>>> Well, I'm not a autotools guru, but perhaps we could simplify the NutOS
>>> configure.ac by using the PKG_CHECK_MODULES macro instead of searching
>>> lua and other packages by hand? Is pkgconfig support available on
>>> Windows?
>> Looks like it is:
>> http://pkg-config.freedesktop.org/wiki/
>
> Autotools is almost never used on windows. It would require cygwin,
> and that is a pain. :(
> It would be better if we didn't depend on auto[tools|conf] under windows.

I tried CMake a while ago. While it seems to work well for host tools
like the Configurator, it fails to create the target libraries. Although
the latest versions claim to be able to cross compile. So I give up to
have a general make tool for all host and target platforms. At least for
the moment.

But the question is, do we *need* a general tool? Windows users are
typically satisfied with the binary packages. Since Nut/OS 4.9 I'm
building them using the Lua script in nut/tools/packing.

On Linux building from the sources is quite common. Furthermore, the
tools for building *nix binary packages are based on the same tools,
that the end user uses to build from source packages.

Windows developers, who want to modify the Configurator, can use the
standard tools like qmake, Qt IDE or, like I did, MSVC with the Qt plug-in.