[En-Nut-Discussion] Codesize with winavr 4.x and NutOS 4.6.4

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Sun Jan 11 11:21:35 CET 2009

Joerg Wiegelmann wrote:
> I used the Ethernutversion 4.4.0.0 with Winavr-gcc 3.4.5.
> Unfortunately there is a little programming error in the system. So my
> intention was, to correct the error and make an update to the new nutos
> 4.6.4 and the new Winavr Compiler from December 08. After compiling and
> linking the system doesn't work any more.

This is indeed a bad experience, which happened to several users
recently. While constantly trying to find new ways to reduce the code
size, even the same sources result in larger binaries after moving to GCC 4.

Another problem is definitely our move to the ARM platform, where you
have lots of memory and become less sensitive to code size (I feel
guilty too).

The only thing you can do right now is to compare the new map file with
the previous one. May be you can detect one of the modules, which grew
exceptional larger and we may look into it.

You may also try Nut/OS 4.7. Btw. 4.7.5 will be published within a few
days. I remember that a few optimizations had been added here. Although
beta, it can be considered stable for the AVR.