[En-Nut-Discussion] Optimizing nutconf

Thiago A. Corrêa thiago.correa at gmail.com
Sun Jan 11 14:38:03 CET 2009

On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 8:29 AM, Harald Kipp <harald.kipp at egnite.de> wrote:
> Thiago A. Corrêa wrote:
>> AFAIK linux has way better caching/memory management than Win32,
>> wonder if that makes for the difference we are seeing here.
>
> I tried it on a quad core with Windows Server 2003. Some delays yes, but
> not that annoying as on your side.
>
> Anyway, as I explained and as you suggested, we should try to optimize
> the Lua calls. Probably this is possible with some kind of caching.

The patch I sent to the list does some caching for GetDescription and
a few other things. I also followed some guidelines found on lua wiki
on optimization. It has worked alright here for me. I'm using it
working on the AVR32 port and so far haven't noticed issues with the
patch. Unfortunally it doesn't improve the checkbox problem in a
noticeable way. It should show some improvement in a measured
profiling session though.

Btw, I opened a new bug issue about the autotools config. It can't
find lua on my gentoo system, and I don't know autotools enough to fix
it. I tried a few obvious things, but didnt work. Perhaps when you or
someone else has some time this could be looked at.

Kind Regards,
    Thiago A. Correa