[En-Nut-Discussion] Dead Ethernut

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Mon Mar 2 10:33:58 CET 2009

Hi Pete,

macsmaker at aol.com wrote:
> (I've never gotten a response posting here, so I'm not expecting much....)

Sorry to hear this. I checked the archive and indeed there had been a
single reply to 4 of your postings.

Please have a look to
http://lists.egnite.de/pipermail/en-nut-discussion/2008-November/thread.html
Your posts are hidden within other threads. Many people use this
threaded view with their mail clients and may overlook your posting or
worse, may consider it annoying when appearing in a wrong context.

Quoting http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html:
"Do not simply hit reply to a list message in order to start an entirely
new thread. This will limit your audience. Some mail readers, like mutt,
allow the user to sort by thread and then hide messages in a thread by
folding the thread. Folks who do that will never see your message.
Changing the subject is not sufficient. Mutt, and probably other mail
readers, looks at other information in the e-mail's headers to assign it
to a thread, not the subject line. Instead start an entirely new e-mail."

Beside that, your last post would have gained more attention of Ethernut
1.3 users, if it would have stated, that the problem appears on this
board version.

> I have reloaded basemon.hex, but it does the same: no response on the serial port or the ethernet.

Using Basemon to verify board function is always the best method. But
there are still several pitfalls like the terminal emulator connection,
the fuse settings and the power supply.

Make sure, that the jumpers are correctly set, as the "Important Note" at
http://www.ethernut.de/en/hardware/enut1/index.html
explains.

To make sure that your terminal emulator is working correctly, remove
the DB9 from the Ethernut board and connect pins 2 and 3. When typing in
the emulator window, you should see an echo.

Try another power supply. Make sure it is a DC type and provides at
least 9V under load.

Check the fuse settings
http://www.ethernut.de/en/isp/fuses.html
(Sorry, I do not have the avrdude values available right now, but should
be something like ext=0xff, hi=0x82 and lo=0x3f)

If all this won't help, please contact your dealer or write to info at
egnite dot de.