[En-Nut-Discussion] Nut/OS 4.8

Ole Reinhardt ole.reinhardt at embedded-it.de
Tue Mar 3 16:25:24 CET 2009

Hi,

> Couldn't we generate Makefiles for it the way we do for the apps?
> A boot folder would be nice, we could arrange things better. I
> personaly would call it bootloader instead though.
> Then we could move appmon and eboot there as well, and make it more
> evident what they are. I remember when I was a newbie with ethernut I
> wasn't even aware there were bootloaders there for quite a while.

Yes, the boot folder is just existing and as Harald just mentioned
changing folder names in CVS is quite annoying. So let's do this job
when changing to another VCS.

Right now time is quite limited so lets first add the bootloader
directory without direct makefile support and add the "magic" later on.

> It would be nice if we made them a little more production aware as
> well, add optional crypto or something. Should make things easier for
> new comers and reduce the necessity of forking the bootloaders into
> private projetcs. It doesn't have to be super strong, and we could
> make the keys configurable :)
> Just a thought anyway.

I have implemented such a crypto tool as well. It's based on the A5/1
algorithm. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A5/1 I included this code in a
special bootloader for the Ethernut3 board. Unfortunately this crypto
thing ist just security by obscurity as the Ethernut3 does not support
any lockable flash.

A good AES implementation would be nice to have too. All these things
should go into the new "libgorp" we spoke about a few threads down...

Bye,

Ole

| Embedded-IT          Hard- und Softwarelösungen             |
| Ole Reinhardt        Tel. / Fax:        +49 (0)271  7420433 |
| Luisenstraße 29      Mobil:             +49 (0)177  7420433 |
| 57076 Siegen         eMail:    ole.reinhardt at embedded-it.de |
| Germany              Web:         http://www.embedded-it.de |
|                      UstID / VAT:       DE198944716         |