[En-Nut-Discussion] Realtime Nut/OS

Ole Reinhardt ole.reinhardt at embedded-it.de
Thu Mar 5 13:51:06 CET 2009

Hi Harald,

> Now the idea, which btw. is not new as it has been posted to this
> mailing list many years ago (not by me): What about an additional
> scheduler running preemptive tasks, one of which is Nut/OS? I could
> think of a new thread type RTTHREAD(). So far I have no idea, if that
> could be done without any impact on the code size of pure cooperative
> applications.

this is quite funny. It was me, who asked years ago for a preemptive
scheduling :-) Your answer was "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" :-)

Ok, so let's start the discussion again. Btw: My first thought was:
preemptive and cooperative multitasking in one OS might not work, but of
course it will... So the cooperative multitasking will just be one
RTTHREAD. But I would not call it RTTHREAD, because preemptive
multitasking does not make a realtime system too, but we should call it
P_THREAD and C_THREAD (with #define THREAD C_THREAD)

> Just want to reanimate this old idea. Now I'll have lunch...

I'd wish I'd had lunch tooo... any pizza service around here?

Bye,

Ole

| Embedded-IT          Hard- und Softwarelösungen             |
| Ole Reinhardt        Tel. / Fax:        +49 (0)271  7420433 |
| Luisenstraße 29      Mobil:             +49 (0)177  7420433 |
| 57076 Siegen         eMail:    ole.reinhardt at embedded-it.de |
| Germany              Web:         http://www.embedded-it.de |
|                      UstID / VAT:       DE198944716         |