[En-Nut-Discussion] Realtime Nut/OS

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Thu Mar 5 14:19:42 CET 2009

Matthias Ringwald wrote:
> may I push the stated concept even further. Adam Dunkel's Contiki (http://www.sics.se/contiki/
> ) is a pure while loop event handler. However, Contiki provides
> Protothreads which essentially facilitates the implementation of state
> machines in a thread like way without real threads. Then, it also
> provides multi-threading on top of it. I don't remember but it might
> even be preemptive.

Several times I had an email exchange with Adam whether it should be
possible to implement Protothreads in Nut/OS. Unfortunately, every time
when I started to study this, other tasks became demanding.

No, Contiki is not preemptive (or wasn't when I looked to it last time).

> So Haralds idea of running nut/os in a real time thread could be
> possible and useful. I'm running the unix emulation of  nut/os as an
> app on unix, that's same, no?

Somehow, except Nut/OS is a process, which is a bit more heavy weight
than a thread.