[En-Nut-Discussion] State of the unix emulation: was: New __NUT_EMULATION__ macro

Matthias Ringwald mringwal at inf.ethz.ch
Fri Mar 6 17:02:03 CET 2009

Hi

Ole just asked about the state of the unix emulation. the good think:
it works with the ETH BTnut distribution. There it basically supports
all software parts and the UART emulation. Since my fixed yesterday,
it even builds on the iPhone. :)   In BTnut, we have our own build
system, which is basically a snapshot of the nut/os makefile system
from 2004 and adapted minimally to follow changes in the nut/os tree.

If you select unix-emulation in the nutsetup.sh, it does not compile.
actually, I fixed a handful of compile problems yesterday. As it
builds together with BTnut, I guess the main problem in nut/os is
probably the quantity of new files which don't have #ifdef
__NUT_EMULATION__ or should not even be compiled for the emulation.
Updating the Makefiles is probably enough to get it back to a usable
state. I can do this after my snowboard vacation next week unless
someone is faster. (volunteers anywhere ;)

Ole: yes, using "capabilities" instead of the __NUT_EMULATION__ does
make sense. However, the assumption for __NUT_EMUALTION__ is only that
we have a POSIX system supporting the standard C library and pthreads.
So, there is not much to gain.

cheers,
  Matthias