[En-Nut-Discussion] State of the unix emulation: was: New __NUT_EMULATION__ macro

Ole Reinhardt ole.reinhardt at embedded-it.de
Fri Mar 6 20:32:00 CET 2009

Hi Matthias,

> Ole just asked about the state of the unix emulation. the good think:
> it works with the ETH BTnut distribution. There it basically supports
> all software parts and the UART emulation. Since my fixed yesterday,
> it even builds on the iPhone. :)   In BTnut, we have our own build
> system, which is basically a snapshot of the nut/os makefile system
> from 2004 and adapted minimally to follow changes in the nut/os tree.

Ok, perhaps I'll find some time to make it at least running with a
minimal configurator configuration. This should not be that much of a
pain.

If the code itself is running everything else is just about filling in
the dots.

> Ole: yes, using "capabilities" instead of the __NUT_EMULATION__ does
> make sense. However, the assumption for __NUT_EMUALTION__ is only that
> we have a POSIX system supporting the standard C library and pthreads.
> So, there is not much to gain.

The thought was to also define "__arm__" or similar compiler /
architecture dependant macros as a new "capability flag" to remove these
architecture specific macros completely from code. The iPod port might
be the first, but not the last situation where these dependencies might
hurt.

bye,

Ole

| Embedded-IT          Hard- und Softwarelösungen             |
| Ole Reinhardt        Tel. / Fax:        +49 (0)271  7420433 |
| Luisenstraße 29      Mobil:             +49 (0)177  7420433 |
| 57076 Siegen         eMail:    ole.reinhardt at embedded-it.de |
| Germany              Web:         http://www.embedded-it.de |
|                      UstID / VAT:       DE198944716         |