[En-Nut-Discussion] SPI/Uart

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Tue Mar 10 15:00:47 CET 2009

Benoit Smeysters wrote:

> I want to purchase Ethernut 1.3 board but I need 3 uarts and only 2 are available in ATmega128.
> I think use a SPI/UART converter like MAX3100 (http://www.maxim-ic.com/quick_view2.cfm/qv_pk/1731/t/al).

Hi Benoit,

This can be used and it is not too difficult. However, I'd consider the
Elektor Internet Radio, which has 3 UARTs. You may check the datasheet
whether these UARTs are sufficient.

See
http://www.ethernut.de/en/hardware/eir/expansion.html
for the EIR expansion connector. You may use the DB-9 connector for
USART0 (with RTS/CTS) and add an RS-232 level converter to K1-10+11
and K1-22+23.

It costs more than Ethernut 1.3, though, but comes with a cool Ogg
Vorbis Codec. If you are a student and working on a university project,
you should ask egnite about sponsoring.

There may be other boards from other manufacturers. The ATmega2560 as
well as many AT91SAM7 based boards provide more than 2 UARTs.