[En-Nut-Discussion] SOAP client for Ethernut 3.0?

Curtis Maloney cmaloney at cardgate.net
Tue Oct 27 23:24:22 CET 2009

Javier Longares wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm looking for making a SOAP client with Ethernut 3.0E board and I would
> know if there is some souce code or some open source project which could led
> my firsts steps.
>
> Of course, if you know a SOAP for this board or you like toi make me some
> suggestion I'll be very glad to hear you.

In my experience with SOAP my advice is this:
- If you can avoid using it, do!  It's bloated, overly complex, and
everyone implements their own sub-set of the spec, making
interoperability challenging, at best.

If you want your devices to talk to an existing SOAP service, fair
enough.  Consider using pre-generated request templates, instead of
using a full XML generating lib.

On the parsing side, I think you'd be hard-pressed to get a fully
compliant XML parser, though you should be able to get away with a
light, SAX-like system.

If you can choose, choose to NOT use SOAP.  If you control both server
and client, why not use regular HTTP POST?  If you need structured data,
I understand JSON can be very easy to parse with regex.

--
Curtis Maloney