[En-Nut-Discussion] Online Forum

Bernd Walter enut at cicely.de
Tue Dec 21 20:56:56 CET 2010

On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 05:51:02PM +0000, Stefan Profanter wrote:
> Hi!
> I'm new at the Ethernut development and am wondering why there exists no "real" forum for Ethernut and NutOS.
> I find it really convenient and helpful to search in a forum for solutions if I'm having a problem.

I find it really convenient and helpful to search in mailing list
with my mailclient for the same reason.
I prefere one lightweight mailclient for zillion of different
mailingslists with a single user interface instead of many different
URLs with differernt software, different features, different
functionality and bloady webbrowsers.
I also prefer the ability to have a clear thread path, which is
a rare feature with web based forums - most of them just have a timeline
with unclear dependency tracking, so users start @person1 @person2 lines
as a ugly workaround.
I prefer not to grab the mouse every few minutes when handling texts,
while my mailclient can be used completely without mouse.
And I also prefer to continue thread branches into mail based private
discussions if things get offtopic.
Finally I prefer to not depend on being online.

> As far as I know there doesn't exists such a forum for Ethernut and NutOS.

Probably because most technical people prefer working over fancy
solutions.

> I shouldn't be so hard to create one for example with this free forum hosters: http://www.bboard.de/ or http://www.freeforums.org/
>
> What do you say to this Idea?

I personally don't like web based forums for the reasons above.
Not everyones setup allows to use all of them and many people are
used to crappy non/half-working mail environments, so they are not
slightly aware how fine a working mail setup can be.
The typical reasult of switching to a web based forum is that many
knowledged people leave the discussions because of usability reasons
and many unexperienced users come since it is so nicely colored and
trendy.

--
B.Walter <bernd at bwct.de> http://www.bwct.de