[En-Nut-Discussion] Make, .svn, and deleting a MsgQ

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Thu Feb 4 11:53:49 CET 2010

Curtis Maloney wrote:
> On 02/03/10 22:03, Ole Reinhardt wrote:

>>> First -- why do  the tarballs contain the .svn directories?  Did someone
>>> miss reading up on the "export" command?
>> Which version are you talking about? At least the lastest tarballs which
>> you'll find here http://www.ethernut.de/en/download/index.html
>> does not contain the .svn directories. Do they?

The tarballs are no tarballs. Actually they are source packages, built
by 'make distcheck', using the GNU autotools.

After changing from CVS to SVN, not all parts of the autotools
configuration may have been properly updated.

Indeed, ethernut-4.8.6.tar.bz2 contains several .svn directories at
least in the app folder.

>> Using the in-path Makefiles is more or less deprecated. If you need a
>> command line only version use nutconfigure instead of nutconf.
>
> Then might I suggest you stop shipping broken makefiles?  It would have
> helped me not waste a day.

Mh...well...not really deprecated. It's more like a last resort, in case
you can't get Lua running on your host.

Anyway, they are rarely used and still not included in my final release
test.

> Given the stunning lack of documentation, it's hard to know what's me
> not knowing what to do, and what's "deprecated" things... I guess I
> should add a page to the Wiki on "The complete newbies guide to avoiding
> all the leftover kruft in NutOS"...

The first document to read is
http://www.ethernut.de/pdf/enswm28e.pdf

There is also a basic quick start at
http://www.ethernut.de/nutwiki/Nut/OS_Examples

But I can strongly confirm, that we need a better signposting to lead
newbies and casual users to the right places.

>>> And finally, I've noticed there's no corresponding Free function to
>>> match NutMsgQCreate.
>> Again we happily accept your patches :) AFAIK the message queues are not
>> widely used and formerly designed to be created once and always used,
>> never freed. Indeed it would make sense to have a Destroy function too.
>
> Looking closer at the code, what you say is becoming obvious.  It also
> conspicuously lacks a "NutMsgQEmpty" or similar function...

A while ago I tried to banish NutMsgQ and a few other "candies" to the
gorp directory. I had the feeling, that they are less well maintained
and may lead to confusion. They are not part of the minimal kernel and,
AFAIK, they are not referenced by any other part of the system.

A few guys from the community convinced me, that they will take care of
these parts and that I should not move them out of the os folder.

I'd still prefer to have them in the gorp lib and inform potential
users, that they may be less well maintained than the core routines.

> Well, once we get this project done, I might have a refreshed NutQ
> alternative to contribute.
>
> Wouldn't mind hearing from others if
> a) anyone is using it
> b) anyone would use it if it had feature X

AFAIK, the MsgQ routines are used by the btnut project, which fell
asleep some time ago.

Harald

P.S. Like in old times, your comments are most welcome.