[En-Nut-Discussion] Make, .svn, and deleting a MsgQ

Curtis Maloney cmaloney at cardgate.net
Thu Feb 4 00:04:29 CET 2010

On 02/03/10 22:03, Ole Reinhardt wrote:
> Hi Curtis,

>> First -- why do  the tarballs contain the .svn directories?  Did someone
>> miss reading up on the "export" command?
>
> Which version are you talking about? At least the lastest tarballs which
> you'll find here http://www.ethernut.de/en/download/index.html
> does not contain the .svn directories. Do they?

78eb2a8a57de791088ff7c5e05218f92  ethernut-4.8.6.tar.bz2

I just downloaded it again to check the md5, and it matches...

>> Second, the out-of-the-box makefiles are broken, in that they omit
>> "ipdemux.c".  Not sure if running the configurator fixes this, as I've
>> never had it work.  How could something like this slip past pre-release
>> tests?
>
> Using the in-path Makefiles is more or less deprecated. If you need a
> command line only version use nutconfigure instead of nutconf.

Then might I suggest you stop shipping broken makefiles?  It would have
helped me not waste a day.

I found the nutconfigure tool, and managed to get everything set up (I
think -- am yet to see if this build actually runs).

> But we happily accept your patches!

Given the stunning lack of documentation, it's hard to know what's me
not knowing what to do, and what's "deprecated" things... I guess I
should add a page to the Wiki on "The complete newbies guide to avoiding
all the leftover kruft in NutOS"...

>> And finally, I've noticed there's no corresponding Free function to
>> match NutMsgQCreate.
>
> Again we happily accept your patches :) AFAIK the message queues are not
> widely used and formerly designed to be created once and always used,
> never freed. Indeed it would make sense to have a Destroy function too.

Looking closer at the code, what you say is becoming obvious.  It also
conspicuously lacks a "NutMsgQEmpty" or similar function...

Well, once we get this project done, I might have a refreshed NutQ
alternative to contribute.

Wouldn't mind hearing from others if
a) anyone is using it
b) anyone would use it if it had feature X

--
Curtis