[En-Nut-Discussion] EIR and java script

Bernd Walter enut at cicely.de
Sun Jan 31 12:07:38 CET 2010

On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 01:03:54PM +0100, Ulrich Prinz wrote:
> Hi András,
>
> looks like Ajax is sort of a 'simple' extension to java script and CGI
> that already exists in Nut/OS. And it looks like what I prefer for my
> EIR extension. I didn't find any option to submit a command to the
> server (EIR) without submitting the complete form and clearing the page.

You can always catch and tune form updates in javascript.
With javascript it is also possible to just submit the data without
touching the displayed data at all or just update a partial page.

> Can you hand me over that Ajax extension? I'd like to see it in Nut/OS
> if you don't mind.

Ajax is a browser thing.
Nut/OS already has everything you need.
On EIR you only need to add application related CGI functions.
E.g. add a CGI which only delivers the table with the radio station list
and not a full HTML page.
Then use Javascript/Ajax to do do the CGI request and fill the radio
station block in the page with the CGI result.
This is just a simple example - expirienced Javascript programmers
often ask for plain XML data instead of HTML fomated tables.
This way they can easily modify the result and use the plain data
almost everywhere.

B.Walter <bernd at bwct.de> http://www.bwct.de