[En-Nut-Discussion] Ethernut HTTP over PPP

Nathan Moore nategoose at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 15:07:32 CEST 2010

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 6:23 AM, Harald Kipp <harald.kipp at egnite.de> wrote:

> Hi Mariusz,
>
> On 14.06.2010 11:49, Mariusz Łuba - SESCOM wrote:
> > I have MMnet02 board which is supported by Ethernut and SIM200 modem
> > connected to this board.
> >
> > It is possible to do such things:
> > - MMnet02 is HTTP server with some site: index.cgi
> > - connect MMnet02 to PPP server using SIM200 modem.
> > - server gives MMnet02 i.e IP:192.168.1.10
> > Can I connect to 192.168.1.10 and see HTML page via PPP connection?
>
> I think that the issue you are asking about has to do with the modem giving
you a
private (ie, not addressable over the public Internet) IP address.

It is quite likely that there is a public IP address tied to the modem but
it is being
translated to a private IP by either the modem (some mobile modems, which
aren't
true modems, do this) or by your carrier/service provider.  You will need to
figure out
which is the case and how/if you can get the public IP.

You may not actually have your own public IP though.  The service provider
may
do the same thing as home routers and share one IP among several endpoints.
If this is the case you will have a lot more difficulty running a
server-like application
on your device.

Nathan