[En-Nut-Discussion] Debugging on SAM7x256

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Mon Mar 8 16:51:11 CET 2010

Krzysztof Sroczyn'ski wrote:

> For some time I am trying to start debuging Nut/OS(4.9.8) on my SAM7x256
> from propox (http://www.propox.com/products/t_208.html).
> Added arm linker script is: at91_ram

If you select at91sam7x-ek.conf in the Configurator, the default linker
script will be at91sam7x256_rom. The script at91_ram is for the
AT91R40008. When it was created, the AT91 family was limited to a few
ARM7TDMI devices only, thus the confusing name.

As far as I can see, there is no linker script for executing SAM7X code
in RAM.

Just in case: If you are not able to run the Nut/OS Configurator on your
PC, try the command line version nutconfigure, see
http://www.ethernut.de/en/documents/debian.html
(nearly at the end of the page)

> error: no memory region specified for loadable section `.ramfunc'

The ramfunc segment is used for self programming only. This is the last
resort for the system to store the network configuration. If your board
has any EEPROM or Dataflash, you should use these. See

Device Drivers -> Non Volatile Memory

in the Configurator.

Frankly, I'm not sure whether the EFC is working in this release,
haven't tried it for some time. The related source is in

nut/arch/arm/dev/at91_efc.c

> ../../nutbld/lib\crtat91_ram.o:(.init1+0x10): undefined reference to
> `PS_BASE'

Wrong linker script -> wrong CPU. Using at91sam7x256_rom should fix it.