[En-Nut-Discussion] ethernut board 3.1 LCD support

Ulrich Prinz uprinz2 at netscape.net
Thu May 13 12:50:44 CEST 2010

Hi!

You can go two ways:

Use the display out of the box and if it is a 5V display, use one of
TI's SN74AVCxxx series buffers for level adaption. But with EN3 the
simplest way is to use the CPLD and configure it for routing some
signals straight through, from input to output.

Second way is to find the 91k resistor on the displays PCB and replace
it with a 75kR type. Then the display can be driven with 3.3V. In worst
case you need to generate a slight negative LCD voltage to get a better
contrast.

I didn't check for the memory setup of the AT91 series. If you can slow
down memory access enough and can configure one /CSx line for beeing
active-high you cann access the display directly as a memory instead of
going gpio way. If there /CS cannot be configured as active high, there
is an option to use one of these single-gates 74AVC12xG1 for inverting
/CS to E.

This way of connecting LCDs is only suitable for CPUs having a
data/address bus already routed to a connector. It doesn't mace any
sense for all other systems.

There are lots of ways to connect a display...

I do not think that there is any good reason for polling the Busy-Flag.
1) It needs a lot of time as the display thread blocks for the whole
time while polling. Other tasks may run out of time.

2) If you use NutSleep() to unblock other tasks while waiting, you do
not need to poll the display as, besides two commands, all are finished
long before the display task is back again. The two commands Clear and
Home can be exited with NutSleep(2) instead of NutSleep(1).

3) With a charater display there is no need to be fast. With my slowest
driver implementation (Using NutSleep(1) after each byte sent to the
LCD) an 40x4 LCD is updated completely after approx. 100ms. That are 10
complete refreshes in one second!

Don't chase birds with cannons :)

Best regards, Ulrich