[En-Nut-Discussion] FW: AVR32 / ARM support

Johan van der Stoel johan at streamit.eu
Sat Oct 9 16:55:14 CEST 2010

Dear repliers,

Either through the forum or privately.

I think it's good to summarize some things, but also to post some additional
questions. Please comment if you have any additional suggestions!

1. CPU
To me it looks like SAM7/9 & AVR32 are quite well supported, and Cortex M3
is coming.

2. Nut/OS or Linux?
Not many people have commented on this topic, but what I have heard and read
I think:
- minimum footprint for embedded Linux is 4 Mbyte. So when you decide to use
embedded Linux, always an external flash memory device is needed.
- If you want to use IPv6 today, use Linux; the chance is low it will be
available in Nut/OS within 1 year - or very limited. I would be very
interested to hear some more opinions about this topic. I guess everybody
will face this problem within a few years from now!

3. Ethernet controller/switch
I think the RTL8305 is a great device for our application. Nice to hear it
is already supported!

Best regards,

Johan van der Stoel
---------
Streamit BV
Verdunplein 10, 5627 SZ Eindhoven, The Netherlands
KvK: 17192664

Email: johan at streamit.eu
Web:  http://www.streamit.eu
Mobile: +31 6 18842718