[En-Nut-Discussion] Tons of trailing spaces in our source code

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Wed Oct 13 19:56:59 CEST 2010

Hi all,

I'm mainly using MS Visual Studio for editing source files. The problem
is, that this editor doesn't automatically remove trailing spaces.
Worse, it often adds them and it's hard to detect or avoid them. As a
result, I'm guilty for most of the trailing spaces. Sorry, guys, it's
not me, it's "The Borg". ;-)

Recently I installed an add-on, which removes trailing spaces. The
problem now is, that this is done automatically, beyond my control.
Committing changes may result in a large amount of changed lines, which
makes it nearly impossible to follow the intended code changes.

I assume, that Ulrich has similar problems, because his commits often
include code changes and lines (my) with trailing spaces removed. In
order to fix this now and for all times, two actions are required:

1. Files containing trailing whitespace should have it removed and
committed first before further patching.
2. I will stop contaminating the code with trailing whitespace.

Thanks,

Harald

P.S.: I wonder if Ulrich added the phrase "Lots of trailing space
removement" by default to his commit message. ;-) At least rev-3168
claims this, but luckily only code changes had been committed.