[En-Nut-Discussion] FW: AVR32 / ARM support

Thiago A. Corrêa thiago.correa at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 21:57:16 CEST 2010

Hi,

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 3:38 PM, Bernd Walter <enut at cicely.de> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 11:43:07AM -0300, Thiago A. Corrêa wrote:
>
> I have no expirience with the Micrel, but I'm running AT91SAM7X256 with
> RTL8305SC.
> The RTL8305SC - and I think the Micrel too - uses multiple PHY addressings
> for the ports and additional for further VLAN registers.
> PHY0 contains link speed/duplex information for port0, PHY1 for port1, ...

Interesting. From what I understand the phy does the actuall switching
(copy data from one port to another and maintain address tables)
right?

> When negotiating link specification for MII you need to hardcode the
> values to 100M-FDX instead of using the unrelated port0 negotiation.

If I'm not mistaken, it can be taken care of in the nutconf. I think
the ARM code has that option.
Quite easy to do in the other archs.

> Getting the MII wiring right is by far more difficult than to do the
> software part - nothing to worry about.
> My local patch is available under http://www.cicely.de/~ticso/at91_emac.c

Got a 404 on the link.

Would you care to send to the list or the tracker for merging?

>> > 3.       IPv6 support.
>
> Unfortunately there is a lot of work to be done.
[..]
> We should start with multiple address support and then do multicast.
> Although multicast isn't that important for IPv4 it is a basic
> IPv6 requirement and it needs multiple addresses first, since we need
> to maintain a list of participated multicast groups.
> Each NIC driver should to be extended for multicast to setup multicast
> hashes - as a bad workaround activating promiscuous will do, but that
> way the CPU will have to parse several unrelated packets even in a
> switched network.

I need to study this. I know how IPv4 works, but I'm completely
ignorant on IPv6.

> I know how to calculate the hash tables with AT91 ATE interfaces, since
> I recently fixed the hash calculation in the FreeBSD driver - to get
> IPv6 working on AT91RM9200...

The AT91 and AVR32 MAC are almost the same, with very few differences.
I could try to port to avr32.
How would it affect the upper layers?

Kind Regards,
    Thiago A. Correa