[En-Nut-Discussion] Status of Point-To-Point protocol over RS-232

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Mon Apr 18 17:19:54 CEST 2011

Hi Ulrich,

On 4/17/2011 11:49 PM, Ulrich Prinz wrote:
> Am 16.04.2011 17:55, schrieb Harald Kipp:
>> The application implemented a TELNET server, waiting for connections.
>> My provider uses private IP addresses, which are not directly
>> accessible from the Internet. Thus, I won't be able to connect the
>> Ethernut board from the outside. :-(
>
> Sure? If the system could report it's own IP you should be able to
> telnet it from remote... I can telnet my Mobile phone if I like to and
> is running a SSH/Telnet Server.

Unfortunately this doesn't seem to possible with my pre-paid account. As
you can see on my log at

http://www.ethernut.de/en/documents/ntn-1_ppp.html
(at the end of chapter "Network Interface Setup")

they are providing a private IP address, which is not routable in the
Internet.

> To bad, that the Flash of my ISDN Router was worn out so it died. The
> good old ELSA Microlink LanCOM would have been a good reference for PAP,
> CHAP and Network communication tests.

I still have a working one :-). Anyway, PPP is still most attractive for
mobile phone networks. One idea is to integrate an Ethernut in my car
and collect GPS and/or CAN-bus data. From time to time they can be sent
to a server. Would make a nice anti-theft device, though I wonder who
wants to steal my funny car. ;-)

> I started a lot of discussions and RFCs of how to proceed with new
> driver implementations that are similar to this one. Besides some good
> ideas no one really started to work together. So again:

Would you mind to place this on a new thread with a proper subject line?
Or add to any previously opened thread with a relevant subject line. If
its hidden below PPP, it may get lost again.