[En-Nut-Discussion] Status of Point-To-Point protocol over RS-232

Ulrich Prinz uprinz2 at netscape.net
Tue Apr 19 23:49:13 CEST 2011

Hi Harald,

Am 18.04.2011 17:19, schrieb Harald Kipp:
> Hi Ulrich,

[...]
> they are providing a private IP address, which is not routable in the
> Internet.

Outch! That option to use simple and cheap cards for datacomm is used
often, but the providers like to sell special cards and special tariffs
for it... They know how to force you to pay for that :)

>> To bad, that the Flash of my ISDN Router was worn out so it died. The
>> good old ELSA Microlink LanCOM would have been a good reference for PAP,
>> CHAP and Network communication tests.
>
> I still have a working one :-). Anyway, PPP is still most attractive for
> mobile phone networks. One idea is to integrate an Ethernut in my car
> and collect GPS and/or CAN-bus data. From time to time they can be sent
> to a server. Would make a nice anti-theft device, though I wonder who
> wants to steal my funny car. ;-)
I agree, that is a nice idea, even I never saw your car :)

>> I started a lot of discussions and RFCs of how to proceed with new
>> driver implementations that are similar to this one. Besides some good
>> ideas no one really started to work together. So again:
>
> Would you mind to place this on a new thread with a proper subject line?
> Or add to any previously opened thread with a relevant subject line. If
> its hidden below PPP, it may get lost again.

Ups, the cutoff was hard. I already shared my comments on how to
implement this driver structure and as there was no one complaining for
good reason, so I already implemented it in the branch. It will come.
And to get back to PPP, it would then be easy to modify it to connect
through any kind of character device.

Ulrich