[En-Nut-Discussion] Building NutOS (especially qnutconf) using Autotools

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Wed Aug 10 20:05:52 CEST 2011

Hi Ole,

On 8/10/2011 3:34 AM, Ole Reinhardt wrote:

> The biggest change is the autotools support for qnutconf (it used qmake
> before)

Great, this is exactly what I'm missing. I haven't looked into any details. My first intention was to innocently give it a try, which was successful in the end.

Here's the full story:

> I hope everything works in the same way as before. So please give it a
> try and report any problems.

Unfortunately not. I have

 Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS
 autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.65

Here's what I did:

--------------- SNIP ---------------
mkdir devnut_autotools_or
cd devnut_autotools_or/
svn co https://ethernut.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/ethernut/branches/devnut_autotools_or ethernut
cd ethernut/
./autogen.sh
--------------- SNAP ---------------

Here are a few lines of my output

--------------- SNIP ---------------
Running libtoolize...
./autogen.sh: 149: libtoolize: not found
Running aclocal  ...

configure.ac:58: warning: macro `AM_PROG_LIBTOOL' not found in library
configure.ac:58: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_PROG_LIBTOOL
      See the Autoconf documentation.

/usr/share/automake-1.11/am/depend2.am: am__fastdepCC does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
/usr/share/automake-1.11/am/depend2.am:   The usual way to define `am__fastdepCC' is to add `AC_PROG_CC'
/usr/share/automake-1.11/am/depend2.am:   to `configure.ac' and run `aclocal' and `autoconf' again.
src/Makefile.am: C source seen but `CC' is undefined
src/Makefile.am:   The usual way to define `CC' is to add `AC_PROG_CC'
src/Makefile.am:   to `configure.ac' and run `autoconf' again.

No package 'QtCore' found
No package 'QtGui' found

configure: error: ./configure failed for nut/tools/qnutconf
--------------- SNAP ---------------

So I did

 sudo apt-get install libtool

Now everything looked much better, except

--------------- SNIP ---------------
No package 'QtCore' found
No package 'QtGui' found

configure: error: ./configure failed for nut/tools/qnutconf
--------------- SNAP ---------------

So I tried

 sudo apt-get install libqtcore4 libqtgui4

but still no luck. Same as above. Next I tried

 sudo apt-get install libqt4-dev

which seems to do the trick, autogen.sh finished without error and I entered

 make

This now fails with the wxWidget version of the Configurator, because I currently have wxWidget 2.9.2 installed, which won't work with the trunk version of the Configurator.

The nice part is, that

 ./autogen.sh --help

works and I chose

 ./autogen.sh --disable-nutconf

This time

 make

finishes successfully and after

 sudo make install

I got

 20:00:07: Nut/OS Configurator Version 3.0.0
 20:00:07: Linked to Qt 4.6.2, running on Linux
 20:00:07: Working in /home/harald/devnut_autotools_or/ethernut
 20:00:17: OK

-=*=- P E R F E C T -=*=-

You made my day,