[En-Nut-Discussion] qnuconf feature required

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Tue Jul 19 09:46:01 CEST 2011

Hi Ulrich,

On 7/18/2011 11:40 PM, Ulrich Prinz wrote:
> Can we add a line edit field in qnutconf Settings/Tools page that
> enables the user to define the toolchain name?
>
> It could be preset with "arm-none-eabi-" or "arm-elf-" but as everything
> is pretty much automated, this toolchain selection is always a horror as
> you have to find the right Make*.* to put your things in, or you have to
> open a console window and export or set something that overrides the
> makefile settings.

I'm not able to follow. The Makefile selection is done on the "Build"
page by selecting the "Platform". The selection list is created
automatically by scanning the source directory nut for Makedefs.

It is however required, that your current directory is the parent
directory of the source tree, typically ~/ethernut/.

> And for alinux user it is very unusual to use TRGT as the toolchain
> variable.

Obviously a Windows user introduced this. ;-) IMHO this setting
shouldn't be required at all. Look to Ole's arm-eCross implementation in
the trunk. He did it the right way by simply adding a few Make* files.

Although I'm wondering, why he (Ole) always uses upper-case letters in
filenames, which is _most_ unusual for Linux users. ;-) Be prepared,
that I'll rename these.

Btw., could it be that you are experiencing those problems in the m3
branch only? Often the Configurator is highly depended on the right set
of configuration and make files.

> So offering this as a edit field would make life easy for everyone.

I think that the way Ole did it offers greater flexibility in the
current state of the project and is easy to implement.

In long term we may end up with too many Makedefs and would need an
explicit configuration of certain compiler options. But this requires
some more effort than just a new entry field.