[En-Nut-Discussion] Off-topic - Building Nut/OS fast...very fast

Uwe Bonnes bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de
Tue Jul 19 14:12:23 CEST 2011

    Harald> Hi all, I'm aware, that this is not directly related to Nut/OS,
    Harald> but the right people to ask may be available here.

You don't tell on what system you try to build.

    Harald> Building all Nut/OS libs and apps for all supported targets
    Harald> takes time and I'm trying to figure out, where's the
    Harald> bottleneck. Upgrading to a 3GHz i7 and 12GB RAM helped, but I'd
    Harald> like to have more. Of course the compiler does a lot of file I/O
    Harald> and the Hitachi drives I'm using are not known for being fast.

    Harald> Therefore I purchased an SSD (OCZ Agility2) and plugged it into
    Harald> one of the SATA3 interfaces, expecting a real performance
    Harald> boost. I later learned, that this SSD is not known for its high
    Harald> performance. But the result was more than disappointing: Copying
    Harald> is now quite fast, but compile time decreased by about 10%
    Harald> only. In fact this money was wasted.

Parallel builds with processors with serveral cores scales nearly linear
even on normal disk , e.g. for the linux kernel or a wine build on linux.
So pure processing power is all you need first.

Does your build setup use several cores?

    Harald> The next idea is to get faster RAM. I'm currently using cheap
    Harald> DDR3-1600 CL9 9-9-24. For twice the money there are faster
    Harald> chips. But will it be worth? Before wasting more money, I'd like
    Harald> to ask for your experience.  I'm not too familiar with PC
    Harald> technology.

Probably not worth ...

Uwe Bonnes                bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de