[En-Nut-Discussion] Off-topic - Building Nut/OS fast...very fast

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Tue Jul 19 16:32:16 CEST 2011

Hi Ole,

On 7/19/2011 11:20 AM, Ole Reinhardt wrote:
> My suggestion would be to try building in a ram-disk. That will speed up
> your build noticeable.

I tried freeware from

http://memory.dataram.com/products-and-services/software/ramdisk

and got the (subjective) feeling that it is even slower than the SSD. At
least there is no noticeable difference.

> a) Building the basic NutOS infrastructure takes long time:
>   - Documentation (doxygen parses all files etc.)
>   - C++: Compiling C++ (nutconf / qnutconf) is horrible slow compared
>     with pure C

Yes, this takes time as well, but

> b) Building the kernel and libraries itself:
>   - Lots of small files needs to be compiled.

doing this for all targets needs the majority of time.

I forgot to mention, that my CPU utilization is between 10% and 20%
only, using only 3 or 4 cores.

Thanks,