[En-Nut-Discussion] Off-topic - Building Nut/OS fast...very fast

Nathan Moore nategoose at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 17:54:11 CEST 2011

> As mentioned in my response to Thiago: If everything builds well, this
> is really fast. If builds fail, the output is mangled by parallel
> processes. If it builds well, I didn't care much. If several commits
> introduce several failures, analyzing the logs can be quite time
> consuming, as it has to be done by a human.

Something that I do sometimes is essentially:

   if  [ ! make -j all ]
   then
      make all
   fi

which works if you treat warnings as errors, which I believe you do.  If you
don't then you can lose your warnings.

I'm thinking about how output from this could be better.  The first thing
that comes to mind might cause  more file IO and make things worse,
though.   Hmmm...

> > I'm not sure how the build directories are set up now, but having a
> > different directory
>
> Yes, there's a specific directory for each target and each toolchain.

Do all object files get created there initially or do some get created in
the source directory and then moved?

Nathan