[En-Nut-Discussion] Off-topic - Building Nut/OS fast...very fast

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Tue Jul 19 18:31:30 CEST 2011

Hi Nathan,

On 7/19/2011 5:54 PM, Nathan Moore wrote:
> Something that I do sometimes is essentially:
>
>    if  [ ! make -j all ]
>    then
>       make all
>    fi

No idea why _I_ didn't think about this solution. :-) Right, that should
solve it.

> I'm thinking about how output from this could be better.  The first thing
> that comes to mind might cause  more file IO and make things worse,
> though.   Hmmm...

Another idea is to run several concurrent scripts. Except for the final
packing, the target builds are completely independent.

> Do all object files get created there initially or do some get created in
> the source directory and then moved?

Only the final libs and binaries are copied at the end of each
successful build. The objects are never moved.

I'm currently trying to add some timing output to the scripts in order
to get more precise figures.

Regarding SSD: I found several articles of people complaining about
marginal performance gains when compiling on certain SSD. For example
Google for "C300 128GB looks good on benchmark".

Thanks,