[En-Nut-Discussion] STM32: Programming the beast

uprinz uprinz2 at netscape.net
Fri May 20 09:52:22 CEST 2011

Uwe Bonnes wrote:

> Hello (Ulrich),
>
> how do you program your STM32 boards?
>
> Here is what I do at the moment: Jumper BOOT0 to boot from system ram,
> push
> the reset buttom, load the program via USV or the serial line, Jumper
> BOOT0
> to boot from flash and again push the reset buttom.
> A lot of manual interaction.
>
> Do you use a IAP bootloader?

I use the openocd-usb adapter from Mikrocontroller.net web-shop. But you can
use any JTAG that works with openocd. For comfort I recompiled openocd to
use FTDIlib instead of libusb as that works very much faster and reliable.
The version I use is a patched one from openocd-0.4.0.

It might be a good idea to forward this to harald at the time we think about
integration of Cortex into Nut/OS as he then can update his
openocd/turtelizer things.

I do have a bootloader but it is based on CANopen and requires a license...
But I did some deeper changes to the code in the last few days to make the
code start in any location of the chips memory. So you can add a bootloader
right in front.

What I din't figure out is, how to start the STM original bootloader that is
located somewhere in front or behind the flash of the chip. STM is not
willing to hand out the sources, but there must be an entry-point for it
somewhere. I'll ask them.

Ah, by the way, STM32F20x is available in any larger ammounts at EBV and for
small ammounts I can forward you a phone number from my STM contact.

Ulrich

-----
Best regards
Ulrich