[En-Nut-Discussion] Building Linux source package

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Tue Nov 15 18:27:14 CET 2011

Hi Thiago,

On 15.11.2011 18:00, Thiago A. Corrêa wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 2:32 PM, Harald Kipp <harald.kipp at egnite.de> wrote:
>> Now it fails at qnutconf with 'No rule to make target ui_mainwindow.h'. SIGH!
>
> Couldn't the auto tools scripts simply call qmake? It really knows
> best how to build the Makefiles than auto tools would IMHO.

I expected it to do that. As explained, running

 ./autogen.sh
 make
 sudo make install

works perfectly. I don't know. why building the source package didn't.
Probably automake creates some wrong dependencies for building the
source package.

> Could we consider an alternative? (hiding from angry mob with torches) :)

Sure, as long as we will come up with an installation, which looks
familiar to Linux users.

The main reason for switching to autotools was, that it is very well
supported by binary packagers on various platforms. (Although, we almost
never managed to build binary packages, except once.)

> Btw, how would you feel about retiring the wxWidgets configurator?

It is meant as a backup only, I do not want to spend any more time on
it. Window scrolling is broken on Linux anyway. So, what a luck that we
have your qnutconf. I already commented out

# SUBDIRS += nut/tools/nutconf

in nut/Makefile.am. What a pity, that Qt apps and autotools seem to be
incompatible.