[En-Nut-Discussion] Which is the latest greatest branch

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Thu Oct 27 10:02:09 CEST 2011

Hi Ulrich,

On 26.10.2011 21:19, Ulrich Prinz wrote:
> Just to be sure to have everything in:
> What is the latest greatest Nut/OS in the repository?

While the trunk was frozen, I applied all fixes to the 4.10 branch. A
few days ago I synced the trunk with this branch, except Ole's autotools
changes. They require directory moving and I do not have much experience
with svn merge. I was afraid, that moving directories with merge may not
work as expected. Still not sure, if I should apply Ole's commits manually.

> upgrade all other architectures  to a working combination in devnut_stm32

Great.

Instead of dividing arch into arch/arm and arch/cm3, I propose to use
arch/armv4t, arch/armv5t and arch/armv7_m. The first two should contain
the ARM7TDMI and ARM9EJ-S architectures we currently have in arch/arm
and the latter will take the Cortex-M4. Code, which is valid for all ARM
architectures can be left in arch/arm.

While you will be moving a lot of files: Please try to avoid upper case
letters and non-alphanumerical characters in file and directory names,
except underline and dot. Upper case letters spoil sorting and should be
used only, if this is intended, like with 'README'.

Special characters introduce all kind of complications. To give an
example: Consider the global definition 'cortex-m3' to be defined in the
Configurator as a directory name and C makros. We will end up with

 #define cortex-m3

or

 cpp -Dcortex-m3

which introduces strange side effects. It is bad, that we already have a
lot of these spoilers in the tree, most of them introduced by myself.