[En-Nut-Discussion] Nut/OS 5.0 and STM32 Support

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Thu Aug 23 15:16:43 CEST 2012

Hi Ole,

On 23.08.2012 12:22, Ole Reinhardt wrote:
>> TLS is also doing well, Daniel managed to get a https connection with
>> IE. Unfortunately the Nut/OS branch supports TLS 1.2 only, which most
>> browsers do not provide yet. So I decided not to add it to the next
>> official release.
>
> This is very very good news!!!

You recognized "not to add"?

> Does everything works on the board? Or do you still have to use
> pre-calculated certificates and keys? How is the performance and memory
> usage? Which platform do you use for tests?

It's developed on a AT91SAM7X256-EK board. Key negotiation performance is lousy, when not using pre-calculated keys. Data transfer is acceptable, but we do not have measured figures. On the other hand, the SAM7X is not among the fastest in its class and the code is still not optimal.

> And last but not least, how easy is it so set up an own test?

Last time I tried about 3 weeks ago and after Daniel committed a few missing files, I got it running within a few minutes. Have a look in the tls branch. You will recognize, that it is self contained and doesn't require modifications of the Nut/OS libraries.

> Currently I have the problem that we might need to establish an SSL
> connection the other way round (where the Ethernut is the client). Could
> this be done as well?

We have to ask Daniel about client capabilities. But forget to have it available for commercial projects soon.

1. "It works" does not mean that it is reliably secure.
2. So far, Nut/OS hasn't been developed with secure systems in mind. There may be wide open doors we are not aware of.